This complex of buildings at the far end of the village was constructed by Robert Owen to help improve efficiency of production in the Mills. The low-rise dyeworks building was originally constructed as an iron foundry but was later converted for use as a Dyeworks. The 3 storey building opposite housed the team of skilled tradesmen who built and repaired the machinery and waterwheels, including engineers, wheelwrights, iron and brass founders, wood-turners and blacksmiths- the 'mechanics' on whom the mills depended. The complex was powered by a water-wheel until 1929 when a turbine was installed and it is one of the oldest surviving engineering and foundry complexes in Scotland. The buildings are linked by two stone archways, each with a hook for block and tackle to assemble larger cast items such as waterwheels. These buildings were restored in the 1980s and now house the Scottish Wildlife Trust as well as several independent businesses.