The only detached properties in the village are the two Manager's Houses known today as Robert Owen's House and David Dale's House. They are built in the same style as the other buildings on the site but became known as 'The hooses wi' mair rooms than folk', meaning the houses had more rooms than people living in them. This sets them apart from the millworkers' tenements which had more people living in them that they had rooms. David Dale's House was originally used as a summer residence for Dale and his five daughters. Robert Owen and his family occupied the other house when he became manager in 1799 until his move to Braxfield House when his wife's unmarried sister came to live with the family. A succession of Mill Mangers stayed in the houses thereafter until the mid 20th century when they were converted into smaller flats. Robert Owen's House has now been restored to show how it may have looked when he lived there and David Dale's house is occupied by a commercial tenant.