Travel Subsidy Scheme for Scottish Schools
The Scottish Government’s heritage education travel subsidy is offered to schools throughout Scotland to encourage visits to heritage sites of national importance in support of Curriculum for Excellence and outdoor learning. This now includes New Lanark.
What is the Travel Subsidy for?
It provides financial assistance with transport costs between your school and New Lanark for either teacher-led visits or for groups taking part in activities in the guided education programme. The subsidy is available all year round.
Who can apply?
Any Scottish school can apply, however funding is limited and not guaranteed. Applications should meet the following criteria:
- The visit must be for a genuine educational purpose and booked in advance.
- Applications should be made prior to the visit.
- Priority will be given to schools in areas with high indicators of multiple deprivation in accordance with the Scottish Government’s Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation.
How much funding is available?
The subsidy covers 75% of transportation costs, up to a maximum of £250.
How to apply
- Make a provisional booking by contacting our Booking Team.
- Obtain a quote from your bus company for the travel costs.
- Download and print the Travel Subsidy Application Form 2013 here.*
- Complete the form and return it directly to Historic Scotland who are administering the scheme.
Note: Please do not send your completed travel subsidy application forms to New Lanark. This may delay your application. Send them directly to Historic Scotland as advised.
*Having trouble downloading the form? A hard copy of the application form can be included in your Education Pack when you make a provisional booking if required. Also, the form can be emailed to you in PDF or Word format on request.
Receiving the subsidy
After your visit, send a copy of the bus company invoice by email, by post or by fax to Historic Scotland using the contact details above.75% of the total cost up to a maximum of £200 will be reimbursed to the school within 30 days.
Further enquiries about the scheme
Please phone Historic Scotland Education Unit on 0131 668 8610 if you require any further information.